Saturday 16 October 2010

Some Records of Old Lisburn or One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

Have you ever had one of those days where something happened that made you go “What a coincidence! That was lucky.”

Well that’s just what happened to me the other day.

I was in a building where they were just about to start some major renovations. The various offices where packing up their bits and pieces and sorting through what was to go to the temporary office, what could be put in storage and what could be disposed of.

“That box is for dumping.” “What’s in it?” “Just some old newspapers.”

And that’s when my ears pricked up. Well, given what I do, what would you expect... lol...

So now I am the possessor of over 100 newspapers dated between 1840 to 1940 including some souvenir editions... and one page from the Ulster Echo (Belfast, 1874-1916) of which there are no copies available even on microfilm.

It would appear they once belonged to an amateur historian given some of the marked content and that among the papers were also several large brown envelopes which contained cuttings detailing various historical events. While most of these cuttings were of no particular interest in regard to my site I was able to pass them on to an interested party.

One of the envelopes though contained a series of cuttings taken from the Lisburn Standard. They were a series of articles called “Some Extracts from the Records of Old Lisburn and the Manor of Killultagh.” Edited by James Carson, they began on 20 October 1916 and were published in the paper each Friday (almost) for over a year.

While I will be adding these to my News Extracts site along with the other information in each cutting I intend to publish the “Records of Old Lisburn” here on my blog on the anniversary of the date of their original publication.

Good Reading :)

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment